Test Prep Software

Two specific Military Competency conversions are allowed by 14 CFR 61.73 (including the new rule): Mil Comp to Commercial Pilot / Instrument, and Mil Comp to Flight Instructor. This page summarizes some specific subjects related to accomplishing your Mil Comp to Commercial / Instrument.

Military Competency to Commercial / Instrument Pilot:

This is the process thru which you, a military pilot training graduate, get your FAA commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating. It's simple... you just take a written test and then turn in some paperwork to the FAA.

No matter where you live, you can download our software, study the minimum questions (approx 160 for fixed-wing or helo), instead of the full 930-question bank, go to the nearest CATS or PSI Lasergrade testing center, and pass the test with ease.

  • You won't study more questions than those that can show up on your test.
  • The program downloads and installs on your computer.
  • You don't need an internet connection to study with our software.
  • Receive Automatic database updates (when you do have an Internet connection) 24- hours a day to keep up with the fluid pace of FAA changes.
  • Study at your convenience, at your computer, at your pace, on your schedule.
  • Have personal telephone customer support available to you 24 hours a day, especially when you're trying to submit the paperwork to the FAA!
  • Take your exam at the testing center of your choice, anywhere.
  • Software is written for PC's with Windows XP or later, for iPad with IOS 8.0 or later, and for Macs with OS 10.7 or later.

How much does the software cost?
Our Flight Test software is $40.00 for either airplane or helicopter. The nation-wide price for the test with either CATS or PSI Lasergrade is usually $150... though you should ask them about an AOPA or EAA discount if you're a member. The FAA raised the price for taking test recently... click here for more.

If you're a student pilot at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, ask for your discount on our study course.

What paperwork do I have to turn in for this certificate?
Click here for a complete guide to turning in the paperwork.

How do I purchase your software?
Call us during our signup hours any day of the year at 940-642-4945 to receive your username and password to download the program now. Please have a paper and pencil ready, and your Visa or MasterCard available... sorry, we do not accept American Express or Discover.

Where do I take the test?
CATS and PSI Lasergrade are the two FAA-authorized companies to provide FAA testing thru flight schools, colleges, and FB0s. Also, many military installations offer the exams for free. Click on the link below to find your nearest FAA testing location.

Find your Nearest FAA Testing Location

What do I receive from the FAA for this test?
They will give you a pilot certificate (they call them 'certificates instead of 'licenses') at the commercial level. It will include Airplane Single Engine Land if you flew single engine planes during pilot training (T-6. T-34). it will include Airplane Multiengine Land if you flew multiengine planes during pilot training (T-38. T-1. T-37). it will include Helicopter if you flew those during training, and it will include Instrument Airplane or Helicopter as appropriate (this instrument rating is good for any aircraft you have now or get added in the future, single or multiengine. land or sea). Of course, any privileges you had on your FAA pilot certificate before going to pilot training carry forward so you don't lose anything.

Do I have to have a current FAA medical to do this?
No. you don't have to have a current medical to get your military competency license issued to you.

How long does this process take?
It will take you 2 hours to study for the test with our software. The test itself will take you 20 minutes. Then all you have to do is run down to the nearest FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and turn in the paperwork. Click here for details on finding your nearest FSDO and completing the paperwork.

Do I have to wait until after I graduate from pilot training to take the test?
No. you can take the test before you graduate. You just have to wait until after graduation to turn in the paperwork to the FAA.

I am a member of a foreign military who is graduating from U.S. military pilot training. Am I eligible for this military competency commercial certificate?
You may be eligible under one exception to the rule. Please call us for the details and the additional required paperwork required. (940) 642-4945

Note: When you subscribe to our course, your license to view and learn our proprietary materials is limited to only one person and only one device (PC, Mac, or iPad); we can move your study course to another device for you as a courtesy if the first device becomes inoperative, lost, etc. There is no way to print the questions, so you must study at a computer (with the rapid pace of FAA changes, paper gets old too quickly). Your study subscription is valid until the day you take the final exam as long as you don't exceed one year. Your study subscription will expire the day you take your exam, or at one year, whichever comes first. If you have not taken your exam after one year, you will need to pay a subscription renewal fee to extend the license period for the course and to keep your 24/7 technical support. In addition, our security system will occasionally require you to use a new username and password to protect our automated update system from hackers; this is only a security measure and does not affect your course subscription in any way. It is best if the computer you study from has internet access (in order to receive automatic question and software updates), though internet access is not required to study.

Call us 0800-2000
Central Time daily to sign up for a
test prep course. (940) 642-4945
You can download right away.
Technical Support is available 24/7.